Sunday 20 February 2011

Quote of The Week #43

By the end of the first scene of the King's Speech I was in ABSOLUTE BITS, something which continued throughout the film, and I think I've finally worked out why.

I have one helluva lot of sympathy for the trials and tribulations of King George VI.
I know that a stammer is a medically diagnosed condition and a much more obtrusive impediment than shyness but the barriers, the feeling always inadequate, the inability to speak because you know whatever comes out of your mind will be wrong wrong wrong.

That makes me sound self-pitying and horrendously whiny. But everyone has their thing, don't they? Even when you know it's stupid, there's something there holding you back and it is, genuinely, like someone has built a brick wall around you and there is literally no way of even moving a centimetre because...well because you can't can't can't.

Emma Crighton



Oh, and a small note... Quote of the Week will be back next time this week. Sorry for changing my mind...

3 comments:

Aoife. said...

I'm really glad that you changed your mind! This is going to sound very weird and stalker-ish. . .but its now kind of a habit for me to readyour QotW every Sunday. Your less than 8 quotes away from a whole year!

Eleanor Roscuro said...

To tell you the truth, I'm glad too! QOTW is a Sunday Tradition for me too, like reading the Sunday newspapers for three hours, and I couldn't let go that easy.

Emma :) said...

ASDFGHJKL;;;;.

Epic. Thankyou. So much. SO MUCH :D