Wednesday 7 July 2010

'Orses 'Ead 'Andle

Many comic poems, I find, are not funny at all.
Except for one,
I think it's called 'The Lion and Albert',
And the only reason I find it funny
Is because of the memories it conjures
Up in my head,
Away from Blackpool,
And the fresh air and fun.
I can hear one of my biggest friends
Reading the poem to a group of children
Myself included (Where did you think I got the memory?
From a Pensieve?)
And not having to fake the required accent
As the group of children had to,
Because we are from Kilkenny,
And we talk flat.

And I can smell, hmm,
I can smell fresh paint,
And tobacco.
But this is the only place it smells sweet.
And I see little me,
I remember that day well.
(Actually, I only remember the moments in this place. But I digress.)
That was in Sixth Class I think.
(The beginning of the end, but we'll get to that later.)
And now the poem is over,
And the memory is gone.
But now that I think about it,
Isn't it a little pathetic that I have to read a poem to make myself happy?

And now that I think about it a little bit more,
No.
No, it isn't.
Isn't that what comic poems are for?
But now I've remembered -
They're not funny.

4 comments:

Alexa. said...

Love this. Some lines I loved especially:

"Where did you think I got the memory? From a Pensieve?"

"And not having to fake the required accent."

"But this is the only place it smells sweet."

Excellent.

Brónagh Kennedy said...

Childrens review panel, miss that!
"Biggest Friend"
One of the things that makes the school year fantastic is definitly Barnstorm. I remember that poem. Do you remember the one we did about the girl, who was a servant, we did a lot of group excercises on that poem.

Eleanor Roscuro said...

Alexa: Thank you so much! I love those lines too. This was great fun to write.

Bronagh: You got the 'biggest friend' thing then? ;) I don't know what I would do without Barnstorm. And you know what my lucky day is? TUESDAY!!!
Yes, I do remember that poem! And the exercises.

Unknown said...

Yeah I did, "Biggest Friend" may be coming to our school next year to do workshops. *Fingers Crossed*
I miss Barnstorm! Wish it continued on, at least you will have the camp next week.
By the way, I love the new design!