Thursday 24 June 2010

The Radleys


I have now read the best vampire book EVER.

OK, so I know I'm not Little Miss Vampire Book Expert Of The World here, since the only vampire books I've read so far (SO FAR!!) are the Twilight Saga and the Darren Shan saga. (Why are they sagas?) But in my opinion, this book is now ONE OF MY FAVOURITE BOOKS OF ALL TIME.

Yes. I went there.

It is called The Radleys, and it is written by Matt Haig.

I love the name Radley. It's so... mysteriously notorious. Kind of. Anyway, the book is about a family by the name of Radley, living in North Yorkshire. Rowan Radley, the eldest son, wears Factor 60 sun cream everyday and is always dead tired (see what I did there?) at daytime and wide awake at night, but doesn't know why. Clara, Rowan's little sister, has turned vegan, but the lack of meat is making her really ill. Peter, the dad, is getting thirstier than normal, and can't stop thinking about haemoglobin, and it's not just because he's a doctor. Helen, the mum, is trying to help her family appear normal to everyone else, but cracks are starting to show. Then, a week into her new vegan diet, Clara kills somebody and sucks their blood, and finds she and the rest of her family have a devastating secret... Yup, they're vampires. Enter cool uncle Will, Peter's brother, who seems to nurture a soft spot for Helen... Oh, and there's blood. Lots of it.

This book is funny, daring, and not afraid to push boundaries of normal vampire canon. And these vampires kill, so all you Twilight-haters can't claim they're not vicious vampires, and all the Twilight-lovers will love the drama! And it's written so well, it'd make you wish you had a vial of blood to gorge on every once in a while. Yep, I said it.

Go forth, my loyal readers, and read this book! You won't be disappointed.

High-Fives,

EleanorLight

1 comment:

Aoife. said...

I've, eh, given you an award. And stuff. Yeah. Love your blog. ^^